Feeding your child
Fact: When a baby cries there is a reason!
Foods to limit and keep away from you child:
- Refined sugar and sugar products
- White flour products
- Packaged or processed foods (foods that have been altered from original state)
- Foods that have been fried in hydrogenated oils
- Dairy products, especially cheese and cow’s milk
- Red meat
- Foods to which your child reacts
- Juice, tea, or soft drinks with added corn syrup, sugar, glucose, or colorings
Fact: Believe it or not, the display and layout of food goes a long way towards any child’s enjoyment of food!
Ways to make your child’s meals more interesting:
- Use fancy plates, cups, utensils, straws, place mats etc.
- Have your child stuffed animal, doll, or favorite toy join them for the meal
- Use a colorful thermos for soups, stews and hot dogs
- Eat in different places of the house
- Make interesting shapes out of food (animals, letters, people)
Fact: We are conditioned to believe that particular foods are healthy and for many of us, they are not!
Healthy food substitutions:
1 cup sugar – 3/4 cup maple syrup, 1 cup date sugar, 2 mashed bananas
1 cup cow’s milk – equal parts almond, rice, coconut or hemp milk
1 Tbsp. all purpose flour: 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch, 1 Tbsp tapioca flour, 1 egg, 1/2 Tbsp rice flour
Baking chocolate: 3 Tbsp carob chips